Advertising on YouTube to Drive ROI // Interview with Tom Breeze
Using us to create your videos is often just step one in a two-step process. Step two would be getting them in front of the audience to drive the return on your investment (ROI).
In the world of advertising on YouTube, there are three different ways to seed your content:
- Pre-roll // Pre-rolls are content which appear ahead of the content you are intending to watch. It can be easy to ignore and regarded as pesky so it’s super important that these be seeded with all of the factors in mind so that viewers will watch long enough for you to achieve your desired goal. These videos are often abandoned as soon as possible.
- Mid-roll // Mid-rolls interrupt content in the middle and are particularly effective because viewers have already committed to the content they’re watching and will generally view this as a traditional commercial break the likes of which TV has caused us to be accustomed to.
- Post-roll // Post-rolls have the lowest completion rate (less than 50%)
Making and correctly placing a 10 or 15 second (or in some cases, a whopping 10 minute!) ad is a combination of artform and science of human insight and data analytics. It takes a lot these days to cause a person to sit up and take notice.
A few helpful tips for content that sticks //
- If your pre-roll is easy to ignore, then make sure you draw the viewer in (and mention the brand) within the first 5 seconds
- If it’s intrusive, keep it short. The closer to :10s the better.
- If it’s irrelevant (not related to the content they intended to watch) find a way to harness the power of these micro-moments to create targeted pre-rolls which actually relate to the content. This is where expertise comes into play so that these micro-moments can be accurately identified in order to surprise and delight your audience into enjoying your ad versus suffering through it.
- If the space in which you’re placing your ads typically lacks innovation, surprise viewers by allowing them to build their own story. We have tools at our disposal to create content which enables you to transform viewers into participators. This can take the form of gamification or 360* video to give viewers and immersive experience.
Watch our interview with Tom Breeze of Viewability YouTube ad agency to learn more about how we think when identifying the micro moments your viewers might be in, how we show them things they don’t even know they want to see and how we anticipate what they’ll want to see next.