Techniques for idea creation (how we come up with ideas)
by: Elizabeth one of our producers
It was supercool to join Tom Breeze at his offices in London for an interview about my career path and the methods we use for ideation (idea creation). Be warned…at almost 2 hours long, this is a beast of a conversation, but it’s basically a crash course in the way creatives think, the methods we use and everything I believe about how people can achieve their career goals.
Times you can skip ahead to for different topics are:
- 2:30 how I got into this field (musing on survivorship bias)
- 9:47 “it’s all who you know”
- 10:20 How I got my job at Global Fire
- 12:15 my advice to people who want to get into advertising/marketing
- 13:20 Tom asks me whether I believe in focusing on goals or just jumping off and “going for it”
- 15:34 Saying YES
- 17:30 the importance of connection. Winning friends and influencing people.
- 23:00 My favourite fun job we’re working on at the moment (how I pitched to a company who didn’t even know we exist)
- 28:54 Tom asks about my creative process and how to come up with ideas so I start with discussing the RFP/Brief process
- 36:25 How do we actually start to come up with ideas once we’re working on the project.
- 41:29 I believe anyone can learn how to come up with ideas if they learn to think in a certain way
- 44:00 How Tina Fey taught me how to lead a team in brain storming sessions
- 46:33 step by step description of an ideation session
- 49:26 Ideation technique “personification”
- 58:00 Ideation technique “worst and best”
- 1:00:00 An explanation of hierarchy in the marketing departments of large companies
- 1:02:00 Ideation technique “getting space”
- 1:06:00 Story of coming up with ideas for a TV company ad
- 1:11:25 Ideation technique “intentionally bad”
- 1:12:10 Brainstorming politics (working in a group)
- 1:15:30 How do we know when we’re done and have an idea ready to pitch? This comes up again at 1:42:17.
- 1:16:00 Getting into the head of the target viewer. Insights into who they are and what they believe.
- 1:19:25 The one thing that’s more important than creativity and spiffy ideas
- 1:20:08 Demographics vs. Psychographics
- 1:23:30 Why I drink smart water (story about user insights)
- 1:26:58 Ideation technique “assumptions”
- 1:31:45 What to do when a client wants to pack too much information into a video
- 1:33:07 About Amazon’s new series of 100 ten-second ads (love them!)
- 1:36:35 Advertising technique of brands being up front about their drawbacks
- 1:37:55 Value in allowing brainstorming sessions to go off topic (story about coming up with ideas for a global company’s new L&D programme. I talk about the other ideas we came up for this project at 1:45:55)
- 1:43:00 Right around this point I start unpacking the process of taking these ideas and starting the production process. This is where I take off my creative director hat and go into producer mode.
- 1:45:55 Sometimes an idea can be filmed in a really low-fi way. If the idea is strong enough, the filming doesn’t always have to be highest value.
- 1:50:49 Advice for smaller businesses who want to make creative videos themselves
- 1:53:09 Anyone can be creative
- 1:54:00 Ideation Technique “repurposing jokes”
Some media we refer to: